The FDIC Consumer News provides practical guidance on how to become a smarter, safer user of financial services. Issues and selected articles offer helpful hints, quick tips and common–sense strategies to protect and stretch your hard-earned dollars.
May 2020 - Wondering If Your Deposits Are Fully Insured?
FDIC's Electronic Deposit Insurance Estimator (EDIE) is an online tool that can be used to determine whether your accounts are fully insured at each bank where your deposits are held.
- Special Edition - COVID-19 and Your Financial Health
Keep yourself and your money safe. The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) is working with federal and state banking agencies and financial institutions to assist customers affected by the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) global pandemic.
- April 2020 - Is Digital Banking for Me?
Now is a great time to learn more about digital banking, in times when face to face interaction is unavailable or households need to change the way they conduct their finances.
- March 2020 - Scammers Pretending to be the FDIC
The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) has received reports of fraudulent communications that have the appearance of being from this agency.
- February 2020 - How Does the FDIC Protect Consumers?
Since the start of FDIC insurance in 1934, no depositor has lost a single cent of insured funds.
- January 2020 - Thinking About Upcoming College Expenses?
Figuring out how to manage college costs may seem overwhelming, but proper planning can ease the stress.
- December 2019 - What You Should Know About Gift Cards
While gift cards may seem simple, it is important that both the giver and the recipient read the details for each card to avoid any misunderstandings.
- November 2019 - Business Cents
As a small business owner, you have many financial responsibilities. This article contains helpful information about banking for your business.
- October 2019 - Banking at the Speed of Technology
Millions of people today use mobile devices to manage their finances, and the number of users continues to grow. As demand grows, the banking industry strives to improve online services while keeping customers’ funds safe.
- September 2019 - Is the Money on My Prepaid Card FDIC-Insured?
Banks insured by the FDIC offer a wide variety of financial products beyond traditional checking and savings accounts, including prepaid cards. Since these cards usually are not linked to a checking or savings account, consumers often ask, “Does the FDIC also insure the funds on my prepaid card?” The answer could be, “Yes,” but there are some important initial issues to understand.
- August 2019: Beware of Fake Checks
Protect yourself from fake check scams with these tips.
- July 2019: When Applying for Your First Mortgage, Loan Information is Key
By gathering as much knowledge as you can about mortgages before you apply, you can confidently navigate this process.
- June 2019: Thinking About Buying your First House?
Buying your first home can be intimidating, so take some proactive steps to make the process more manageable.
- May 2019: Youth Money Management Goes Hand-in-Hand With Youth Employment
A teen's first job provides a great opportunity to shape positive financial habits.
- April 2019: Protecting Seniors from Financial Abuse
Be organized, proactive, and aware to protect yourself, family and friends from financial abuse.
- March 2019: Rewards Cards - Minimize the Pitfalls, Maximize the Benefits
With the variety of card rewards programs on the market and the restrictions that may accompany them, it’s important to know the details and choose the card that’s right for you.
- February 2019: Considering Buying a New Vehicle? Know This!
If you’re thinking about buying a new car, before you head out to a dealership, review these tips and resources to determine if this is the right time for you.
- February 2019 Special Edition: America Saves Week
In recognition of America Saves Week, we’ve compiled a list of our top five money saving ideas from the FDIC Consumer News.
- January 2019: Tax Season and Your Refund Options
Changes in banking technology make managing your refund safer and easier than ever.
Get more helpful hints, quick tips, and commonsense strategies to protect and stretch your hard-earned dollars on the FDIC website: FDIC Consumer News Archives.